Six weeks to go until Andy and Logan head to Taupo for the Contact Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge (held on Saturday 29 November). Like last year they’re both competing in the 160km Bike Barn Solo – a one-lap circumnavigation of Lake Taupo. This week, we’re catching up with Logan to see how his training is going…
Logan’s Training Regime
Logan’s training regime began last Friday (eeek!) However, he has just returned from several weeks of mountain biking in Canada, which should give him a head start. Here’s his plan for the next six weeks:
- Commute to and from work by bike three days a week. This is about 22.5km each way, adding up to around 135km per week. This will hopefully help me lose some weight and build base fitness.
- One long ride each week, starting at about 2.5 hours and building to 5 hours the week before event. I’m not worried about distance/average speed, just time on the bike.
- One 1.5 to 2-hour hilly road ride or MTB ride each week.
- Walk/jog a few times a week.
- Drink less alcohol!
Fancy joining Andy and Logan?
There’s still time to enter the Contact Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge – and it doesn’t have to involve a 160km slog, either. There are heaps of different entry categories available, from a leisurely 16km ride to kid’s races and relay events. Head to the Challenge website for full details
Can’t make Taupo?
There are plenty of other fun events coming up all over New Zealand. Here’s a selection:
MS Bike the Bridge, Auckland
16 November 2014
The Auckland Harbour Bridge only opens to cyclists twice a year – don’t miss your chance to pedal across this well-known landmark. This is a charity event with three different categories: a 115km Clip On Classic, a 50km challenge or a 20km event.
Milford Mountain Classic, Milford
24 January 2015
A 120km journey around the remote peaks and valleys of Fiordland. This new race starts at Milford Sound and ends in the little town of Te Anau.
31 Jan-15 Feb 2015
Two weeks of bike-filled fun. Events include road races, family rides, bike maintenance workshops, mountain bike orienteering, heli-bike adventures and a food and wine festival to top off the festivities.
Queenstown Bike Festival, Queenstown
13 March – 22 March 2015
Mountain bike, downhill and road biking events for all ages and abilities. Highlights include a mountain bike night ride, the Vertigo Bikes Dirtmasters Downhill and a 16Inch Pub World Championship (sure to be as wacky as it sounds).
Forrest GrapeRide, Marlborough
28 March 2015
A 101km circuit that starts and ends at the Forrest Wines winery and includes 40km of riding through the stunning Marlborough Sounds. The grande finale? 100 riders crushing 3 tonne of pinot grapes…with their feet. (Let’s hope they shower, first).
Need a bike to help you slay the Taupo competition?
We’ve got two great deals for riders tacking the Contact Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge:
- 2-day performance road bike hire + event insurance + bike relocation to and from Taupo: $178 (normally $268).
- 2-day Specialized Sirrus hire + event insurance + bike relocation to and from Taupo: $148 (normally $238).
You’ll be able to pick up your bikes in Taupo on Friday (we’ll make sure they’re fitting you right) and return on Saturday after the event. Drop us an email to reserve your bike today.