Seeking a challenging, mountain bike adventure amidst epic scenery? Then come ride the Heaphy Track with us. This 80km, three-day route through the Kahurangi National Park in the northwest corner of the South Island is one of New Zealand’s finest multi-day mountain bike rides.
It’s no walk in the park – the riding is grade three to four, and suited to mountain bikers with at least intermediate experience. But if you’ve got a good level of fitness and you’re seeking a new challenge, this is a great way to push your riding to the max.
Plus, the scenery is jaw-dropping. This area of the West Coast is truly magical, consisting of dense beech forests, sub-tropical rainforests and white sandy beaches. You’ll get to experience this wilderness up close and personal during the ride and then from the air – this tour includes a return helicopter flight from Karamea to Nelson!
We’re currently taking bookings for guided tours between now and September 2015. So, grab a bunch of your riding pals and let’s book you in for an adrenaline-packed adventure! Email us to book your tour.
4-Day Heaphy Experience
Cost: $2090 per person.
Day 1: Nelson
Day 2: Nelson to Perry Saddle Hut. 17.5 kms (3-5 hours).
Day 3: Perry Saddle Hut to Heaphy Hut. 44.5 kms (6-8 hours).
Day 4: Heaphy Hut to Nelson. 16.2 kms (2-4 hours).
- Vehicle transport from Nelson to the start of the track, and return flight from Karamea to Nelson by helicopter. (In the rare case that it is not possible to fly, vehicle transport will be provided).
- Professional and knowledgeable local guide/personal chef.
- All necessary equipment carried by the guide; cooking equipment, utensils and food for the duration of your trip, bike spares and tools (if you are hiring one of our bikes), emergency communication equipment and comprehensive first aid kit.
- Three breakfasts, three lunches, three dinners, and snacks along the way.
- One night in Nelson and two nights in bunk-style DOC (Department of Conservation) huts.
- DOC fees.
- Bike hire: $350. We have the Avanti Torrent available for hire for this trip. This is a 140mm travel full-suspension mountain bike, available in S, M, L and fitted with freeload racks to carry your gear. If required we can also supply a 20L dry bag and helmet. Your guide will carry all repair gear specific for these bikes.
- If you would like to bring your own bike, you can hire a freeload rack for $45. If you choose to bring your own bike, you’ll need to bring your own spares and be capable of keeping it running throughout your journey.
- Single supplement (additional $100)
Please note: group size for this tour is limited to six riders to ensure a safe and personal experience, and riders are required to carry their own personal clothing and wet weather gear along the route. We’ll supply a concise gear list upon booking.
Ready to accept the challenge? Send us an email.
Have a great week,
P.S. Join our mailing list to get the inside track on cycling in New Zealand. We send out a weekly email packed full of riding ideas, destination guides and upcoming tours, plus our latest deals and specials. Sign up right here…