Tiaki – Care for New Zealand has been set up by a group of New Zealand tourism organisations to actively encourage local and international travellers to care for our country as much as we do.
Tiaki means to care for people and place.
The Tiaki Promise is a commitment to care for New Zealand, for now and for future generations.
Natural High’s values align with Tiaki and we wholeheartedly get behind the Tiaki Promise and encourage all visitors to Aotearoa to act as guardians of our wonderful country.
For more information, head to the Tiaki website.
Kaitiakitanga – Guardianship and Protection
We only have one world and we have to share it with each other. Here at Natural High we are proactive in doing our bit to save the world and offset the impact we have on it, to ensure future generations can enjoy the world and New Zealand as we do.
Some of the things we do are:
- Recycle bottles, cans, paper and anything else we can
- Compost our organic waste – crusts off our pizza and left over lunch
- Minimise the packaging we purchase and give to clients – there are no wrappers on our bikes
- Where possible we use electronic format rather than posting out paper – thus saving on trees and fossil fuels used to deliver screeds of mail every day
- Ride our bikes rather than drive – this not only saves on emissions, fossil fuels traffic congestion and parking, it also keeps us fit and with buns of steel!
- Support and donate to local groups to help restore, enhance and conserve the environment.
What can you do?
We like to think our clients are as forward thinking as we are, by providing them with a way to give back to the natural environment enjoyed in New Zealand.
Calculate and offset your impact
The great guys at Landcare Research have developed the Toitū carbonreduce certification, an internationally recognised greenhouse gas and carbon emissions management and reduction scheme. To calculate your carbon footprint use this free travel and tourism calculator.
You can select what you would like to pay on their website and your money goes into restoring the environment in several different ways.
Support the local environment
If you can’t be bothered with the calculation but want to feel good about yourself, then select to Plant a Tree (you will find this option on your booking form). The donations from this fund are split between:
- The Summit Road Society, a local charitable trust set up to enhance, preserve and protect the nature, beauty and open character of the Port Hills and,
- The Little River Rail Trail, a trust formed to transform the former railway route into a trail suitable for cyclists and walkers wishing to view the spectacular landscape, rich in wildlife.
You can select as many trees as you like and all the money goes towards the project. Thanks for you time and money to help keep New Zealand clean and green!
Ready to ride? Book your New Zealand adventure today>